December 8, 2014
Wow, today was a great last p-day on my mission! We got all
of our errands finished in the morning.
Carlos bought dear, sweet Josefa here so we could have lunch together,
and then he drove us home with our groceries so we didn’t have to walk 20
minutes home in the blistering sun! We
said our hard goodbyes and then we went to the internet café, which
miraculously was open and we only had to wait a few minutes to use a computer! PLUS – the connection was fast. Fast internet
= happy Sister Colvin. I loved my emails
today especially my Mom’s “post mission memes”, so funny. I sure hope that my family has a lot of
patience with me, because I am gonna be WEIRD.
![]() |
| Christmas conference! Sooooo good. The whole mission was there! |
![]() |
| Lovely faces at the Christmas Conference |
Wow, I haven’t had time to write this week. Yesterday was our Christmas conference with
our entire mission! 188 missionaries
gathered together in one place.
President, as always, went all out, and the decorations/training/food
was just perfect. Aside from the
expected “repent you sinning missionaries!” and “you should be baptizing every
week!” speeches, it was wonderful. About
1.3 of the mission has been working on a Christmas choir presentation and it
actually sounds pretty good! They have
been going around to different cities in the past few weeks and have had great
missionary opportunities. The
presentation talked about the Book of Mormon, Christ, Mary, etc. It is all centered on how the Book of Mormon
testifies of Christ. It is hard to describe, but it is very touching and made
many of us cry. ![]() |
| Lovely faces at the Christmas Conference |
![]() |
| Elder Siebers always gets the most GIGANTIC packages! |
![]() |
| More Christmas fun--with our ADORABLE senior couple!!! |
![]() |
| President and Sister Cabral |
But
all complaints and concerns aside, I love President Cabral and I know that he
loves all of us. He treats us with the
utmost care, compassion, and respect.
Yes, he gets a little crazy and fired up during training, but he is a
wonderful man whom I love and respect very much.
I
bore my last testimony in the mission in front of the entire mission – it was
interesting because most of the missionaries going home this transfer, cried
and were very sad, didn’t want to leave the mission, and didn’t know what they
were going to do post mission, etc. I
felt completely calm, happy, and at peace.
I know that the Lord accepts my imperfect efforts. I know that I have
been an instrument in His hands to help these people. I have given it my best,
day after day after day. When my best
wasn’t good enough, He strengthened me.
The Atonement makes up for the imperfections in my performance. With
Dad’s cancer diagnosis, I went through some of the hardest trials of my life –
feeling stalled, alone, and empty. But
the Lord, the great Master of my mission, got me back on my tired, sunburned
feet. He was my constant companion and
friend, and He filled me with his love and understanding.
![]() |
| My only North American companion in Brazil - Sister Burris |
![]() |
| We held a funeral service with Zona Itaguaí! It was very funny, and all of the Elders played along really well :) |
Wow, this week is flying by!
We had zone training this morning and afterwards we held my “funeral.” It is a funny/weird way that missionaries
have of saying goodbye to those who are leaving the mission field. We filmed the whole thing (30 minutes) –
dramatic sad music, the viewing processional, opening remarks, a hymn, eulogy,
and then every elder and sister paid their tributes. They said really funny things all while
wailing and throwing themselves on the ground and such. Most of it only makes sense in Portuguese. I
is a good emotional release for missionaries.
Today was so HOT….109.4!
It is just the kind of heat that wipes you out without even doing
anything. Right now it is 10:10 pm and
still it is 86 degrees. But, aside from
the heat, we had a few good lessons today.
N. is progressing really well! She is 67, years old, very well educated,
and fairly well off, but she is also very humble and eager to learn. She is having some great spiritual
experiences and answers to prayers. It is so exciting to help someone learn to
recognize and follow the Spirit. She accepted the invitation for baptism but
has not selected a specific date yet.
We also had a great lesson with R. and J. He is a recent convert and we had a good time
with an interactive lesson that they seemed to like a lot.
Today was so HOT – 102.2!
On our way to lunch we got an air-conditioned van to get relief from the
heat, EXCEPT – the air conditioning was broken.
Imagine 45 minutes with 20 stinky sweaty people in a van with ALL of the
windows and door closed. It was
incredibly hot and humid. People started
taking their shirts off (men and women alike) and it was just yet another
Brazilian experience to check off my list.
December 13, 2014
A few of the ward members held a going away party for me. It was raining hard so there weren't very many people, but the cake was good!

December 14, 2014
Remember Mario and Beatriz and their daughter, Rafaela?!!? And Pricilla and Anderson????!!! Mario and Rafa were baptized by Anderson (RC), and presidente let me go and watch their baptism. It was the BEST and kindest last present!
December 15, 2014
I am so STINKIN EXCITED TO SEE YOU ALL ON THE 18TH! It will be the BEST Christmas ever!
December 13, 2014
A few of the ward members held a going away party for me. It was raining hard so there weren't very many people, but the cake was good!

December 14, 2014
Remember Mario and Beatriz and their daughter, Rafaela?!!? And Pricilla and Anderson????!!! Mario and Rafa were baptized by Anderson (RC), and presidente let me go and watch their baptism. It was the BEST and kindest last present!
December 15, 2014
I am so STINKIN EXCITED TO SEE YOU ALL ON THE 18TH! It will be the BEST Christmas ever!




















No comments:
Post a Comment