| Assistants to the President - great missioaries! |
| My MTC family! |
| Elder Evan (or what's left of him), Elder Neu, me, Sister Tingey. We are all waiting for the arrival of Elder Mountain. |
Monday April 28, 2014
Thursday, May 1, 2014
My
new area is Jacarepagua. It is
CITY city – lots of traffic, noise, and the “New York” rush type feeling. There
is a stark contrast between the wealthy and the very poor. I must say that I feel more comfortable
sitting on a stool in a little room with a dirt floor than I do in a fancy top
floor condo. There is just a
special humble spirit present when you visit people who have nothing – and are
perfectly happy and content.
| View from my new apartment- 10th floor! |
| Sister R. in a quiet moment |
Our
area is huge and should be navigated by bus, except my new companion is crazy
and walk/runs all over the place.
I am starting to think that Brazilian Sister Missionaries could make it
big time in speed walking competitions.
Anyways, her name is Sister Ramao and she is from Santa Catarina (the
south). She has been out 2 more
transfers than me, and she is TINY…4’10” max. I am fairly sure she is insane.. in a good way. She gets up to exercise at 6:30 doing
“Insanity workout” type exercises.
This would be great for normal people, but for missionaries who are on
their feet all day long…it’s a little crazy. She is also crazy about doing contacts. Yesterday for example, she stood up in
the middle of the bus and announce herself as a missionary, shared a message
about families, then gave everyone a pass-along card. She has guts!
So I am thinking to myself, “this is what I get for wanting to be
recharged.” Who knows , maybe this
tiny hyper-active extroverted Brazilian will be the answer to my prayers.
(PM)
Man, I am feeling tired! We literally walked ALL day without really doing
anything. We just have to
establish a better area of concentration and find people to teach there. I am
already missing Santa Margarida, especially the good , hard working leadership
there. They work so stinkin hard
to build that woard. Jacarepagua
seems pretty cold in comparison, with members that are very spread out. I am
also missing knowing details about my area – being familiar with the streets,
sounds, smells, people, and rhythm. It is also going to take some time getting
used to being a junior again.
| Clean, but almost sterile. |
| Our little bedroom. |
| City view from my apartment. |
Friday, May 2, 2014
This
transfer I am working as a Sister Training Leader –which basically means that I
have to sit is a lot more meetings and work harder. Our next training meeting is planned on our P-day. WHY? It is possible that I won’t have a p-day this whole tranfer. Augh! I am really feeling the lack of p-day from this past week,
and to know that I will miss another one make my body and mind tired. Transfers are hard. It’s like moving but you don’t choose
where you are going, and you only have a day’s notice to pack up your things
and leave. I feel for elders who
get transferred every transfer.
I
think that I am going to like my companion. She is very funny and also very determined. It is really nice to work with an
experienced companion. We are still working out the kinks in our rhythm, but we
are working well together. We’ll see how things turn out.
Sunday, May 4, 2014
I can’t believe that I am SICK again!
This time with congestion and a sore throat. I can’t seem to say well here in Brazil.
We
don’t have a lot of investigators here, but there is one family that w are
teaching that is amazing! Al. and
Fr. have three little boys and have een taking the discussions for a few months
now. They live in extremely humble
circumstances, but they are so happy and the spirit is strong in their
home. They were taught by the
Elders a while ago, but they thought the Elders were too pushy so they stopped
taking the discussions. When our
ward switched from Elders to Sisters a few months ago, the sisters re-contacted
them and now they are ready to be baptized.
Monday, May 5, 2014
10:05
p.m. Man I am worn out. We spent
ALL day in leadership training meeting.
(ie. 8 hours of pep-talks, importance of living the gospel, and the next
key or secret to success type talks.) I think that it is really cruel to schedule meeings,
training, evaluations, etc. on a missionaries p-day. Missionaries need time to recharge and rest. If I am every a mission president’s
wife…I will tell you, I would put my foot down and fight so that my young
missionaries had their P-days protected.
Also
disappointing was the fact that I didn’t get any mail this month. I was hopeful for a few birthday cards,
oh well…life goes on. (NOTE:
Apparently Sister Colvin forgot the package from the previous month that
arrived early with her birthday present and cards inside of it! My timing is
always off.)
Man
I am tired, and stuffy..and so tired!
I don’t think that I have ever walked up and down so may hills in my
whole life. This new area is all
hills. Sister Rom. has had to do a
lot of clean up work here. There
were a lot of missionaries that served here and were major slackers. They really caused a loss of the
members confidence and so that is what we are working hard to regain.

No comments:
Post a Comment