Sunday, May 25, 2014

Sick of being Sick

Not my best day...looking bad, feeling worse!
 Tuesday May 6, 2014
            It’s 8:05 pm, and we’re at home because once again, I’m sick. I am super congested, now have a fever, sore throat, and a cough – SUCKS.  I don’t know why I’ve been so sick so often on my mission. 
            We has zone training today as part of being a Sister Training Leader, my companion and I had to give part of the training.  Imagine me with a fever-flushed face and a strained squeaky and nasally voice.  It was just okay – nothing super inspiring.
            I am a big fan of our new zone leader, Elder Hawks.  He is from Moab, Utah and is just a humble, good guy.  He leads with love and sensitivity and is especially good with the sisters.  Our other zone leader on the other hand, is a very typical number obsessed young missionary. 
            I think that I am starting to like my companion and I am settling into being a junior once again.  It is actually much more relaxing to not have to take the lead or talk on the phone.  We are working together as a team and have made some good goals to put into action. My companion is very sweet to me, and made me homemade soup to help me to feel better. My companion is really funny. She is super feisty and spunky.  She always looks for ways to serve others, which is a trait that I am still trying to develop.
            It is so weird to read about changes at home – everything from the season, work changes, cars being sold, horses being sold, etc. I think that it will be hard to readjust when I get home because there will be so many changes that have occurred while I have been here. 
            Speaking of readjustment, I am experiencing culture shock in my new area of the city by the way. There is a huge difference in the standard of living in Jacarepengua (wealthy) compaired to Santa Margarida (humble). I’m not gonna lie, I miss Santa Margarida especially the people that I worked with.  I think and worry about the recent converts and how they will be taken care of and integrated into the church.  I think I feel a little bit like a parent feels towards their children.  Are they making friends? Are they progressing in the gospel?  Ughh, I must have inherited the worry gene from my mother.

Thursday, May 8, 2014
            I am still sick, but I think that I am on the upside of this pesky cold.  Unfortunately, my companion is losing her voice now.  We had interviews with the President today.  As I prepared for the interview, I thought back on the past 3 months.  So much has happened, so much has changed.  I have grown much stronger, deepened my relationship with Christ, and broadened my understanding of my purpose in life.  I entered the room for my interview and I just felt completely unburdened.  I felt that I was prepared to handle the challenges in my life, that I could remain calm and confident, and I felt full of hope for the future.  President asked me if I had any problems that I needed to discuss and I answered, “No, I am doing just fine.” I think that it was the shortest ever interview with a mission president in the history of interviews.

Friday, May 9, 2014
            Work here is really slow…Really…slow.  We don’t have many investigators, our area is spread out, and our ward is pretty cold.  It seems like the work here will be a lot more about getting the members to work with us and help them to retain and reactivate the members we already have.  It is much different that the work in Santa Margarida.  I just found out that my former companion’s trainee from Chile decided to go home because she was really homesick.  Sister R. continues to work hard in Santa Margarida.  She has reactivated 2 families since I left and she had 5 investigators at church!  Miracles are continuing to happen in that special place.  I miss my friends and loved one there, especially dear, obnoxious Carlos :D.  It is hard being transferred after such a long time in one place.  I am at peace and getting used to this new area, but it will take time to feel connected to this area and these people.

Saturday, May 10, 2014
            Well today was rough.  Work here is literally painfully slow.  My body is aching and complaining about the amount of walking we did today.  We stayed on our feet for a long time – probably 8 hours or so today.  I feel like I am pounding my face against the wall because it just doesn’t seem like anything we do is productive.  We rarely get to enter houses or apartments and teach.  Most of the time we are just doing contacts with people who aren’t interested in our message and very RUDELY reject us.  I am not complaining, it’s just he way it is here.  I have yet to figure out the system or method that works best for this area and these people.  In the meantime I will jest continue with the head beating.
            My companion was really down today.  We’re both still a little sick with our colds.  She seemed especially tired and sad, probably because her last companion, Sister Carvalho, finished her mission and came to our apartment with her family today to pick up a few of her things.  I am sure that it is weird for my companions to see her old companion headed home with her family.  That sort of thing has a huge impact on our psyche. My companion and I still have a few wrinkles to iron out in our relationship.  There is a lack of emotional/spiritual connection right now.  We are both good, obedient, hardworking missionaries who strive to love those we are serving.  But, we just aren’t clicking very well.  I am praying to be able to feel more connected or at least to trust her more during lessons. We’ll get there.
 
My second birthday package came in time!

Ward cake decorating activity
Panel of esteemed judges




No comments:

Post a Comment